In case you aren’t a dummy, you might know that lots of VPN providers have free and versions of theirs services. Among such VPN providers is TunnelBear.
Let’s check the following in this free VPN:
- How it is free
- How privacy is achieved by the service
- What protocols are applied for transferring data
- How personal information is encrypted
- What operating systems the app is compatible with
- What server locations are offered by the provider free of charge
What are the advantages and disadvantages of TunnelBear?
Keep on reading this TunnelBear review and you’ll learn the most ‘’delicious’’ part of the review!
How is TunnelBear free?
TunnelBear provider offers 500MB of free bandwidth every month. If you are going to transfer more traffic, you will have to pay money as it will be no longer a free VPN service.
What is privacy with TunnelBear?
What protocols are applied by TunnelBear?
As it is said on the official website, they apply different protocols for various operating systems. All in all, it depends on the platform you use on your device:
- If your device is based on Windows, it applies OpenVPN/ IKEv2;
- If you are going to use TunnelBear for Android, OpenVPN is applied.
- In case you install the sotware for Mac OS, such protocols as OpenVPN and IKEv2 are used here.
- Finally, IpSec/IKEv2 are applied for iOS (version 9 and later).
How does TunnelBear encrypt your data?
As any advanced free VP, TunnelBear codifies the data with encryption tools. It is known that 256-bit encryption is one of the strongest ones. So, it is often used not only by paid VPNs, but also by free VPN providers as well.
So, TunnelBear is not an exception. Your data will be codified with 256-bit data encryption along with advanced data transfer protocols mentioned above.
Have a look at the chart below and see what encryption will be used for your personal gadget:
What platforms does TunnelBear work with?
TunnelBear is a multi-platform free VPN, so you can set up it on your iphone or ipad, Mac, on your Android or Windows device. Unfortunately, one can’t use TunnelBear for Linux. Still, it can also be applied for browser: Opera and Chrome.
Using a free VPN for browsers is dead important if you don’t want to be tracked by ISPs, hackers or other websites with viruses.
TunneBear appliances are freely available for downloading on the website (for all the platforms mentioned above). You just need to click ‘’Download a TunnelBear’’.
In what countries does TunnelBear have VPN servers?
Having opened their website, you’ll find that TunnelBear provider has a wide system of VPN servers over the globe. Just have a look at the numbers below:
12 European countries;
4 Asian countries;
3 countries in North and South America
You can link to the servers not only with the purpose of faking your IP, but also for accessing inaccessible services. You can:
- Unblock Netflix as Tunnelbear has its servers in the US;
- watch SkyGo outside the UK via British TunnelBear’s servers;
- overcome internet censorship in Asian countries with Hong Kong and other countries’ servers.
Advantages and Disadvantages of TunnelBear
+Wide variety of countries with TunnelBear servers
+Nothing is gathered about users
+Various protocols and military-grade encrypting
– Data transfer is limited over a month period
– Protocols depend o the platform
Any thoughts about this free VPN software? Share your impressions with our team!